Pat McCarthy is the author of a dozen nonfiction books for children and young adults. She has published numerous stories, articles, puzzles and quizzes in magazines for children and adults. She teaches for the Institute of Children's Literature. She has also written encyclopedia articles and school curriculum. Pat is a retired elementary school teacher who subs to remain in touch with kids. Her hobbies are photography, travel, birding and scrapbooking.

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Isn't New Year's in September?

Maybe it's because I was a teacher for so long, but September always seems to me like the beginning of a new year. Summer is over and it's back to school and work.



I'm subbing again this year, but my first day will be Tuesday. I'm subbing for one of my favorite sixth-grade teachers in Language Arts. It will be very interesting subbing this year, because the schools have been completely rearranged. Two elementary schools were closed and parents are having fits. Kindergarten, first and second grade are in one building, called Greenville Primary, third and fourth in another, called Greenville Intermediate, and fifth and sixth are in a building now called Greenville Middle School. This means a large percentage of the teachers and students have changed schools, so I'm anxious to see who's where and how it's all working out. The busing problems have been horrendous, and one child didn't get home till 7:00 on the first day of school.



This week I've been recuperating from my company and trying to break a non-sleeping cycle. I HATE that, but about every five or six months, I'll go four days or more without being able to get to sleep at night. That results in little sleep if I have to get up in the morning for any reason. This time it lasted a whole week. Last night I slept okay, so I'm hoping it's over for awhile. By yesterday, I was starting to feel a little lightheaded from lack of sleep. Part of the problem is that my degenerative disc is pressing on the sciatic nerve, and every time I lie down, my whole left leg aches. I went to the chiropractor yesterday, so I'm hoping that will help.



I managed to thoroughly enjoy my photo club meeting Thursday, though. Thelma drove, so I didn't have to worry about that. My 14-year-old nephew, Adam, joined last month and this was his first time to enter pictures in competition. I was disappointed that he didn't get any ribbons, but was pleased with the good scores his photos got. There were just too many great photos. We had 85 people at the meeting. I did well. I got first place in B&W Theme (theme was weather) with a picture of a tree in the snow, third in Color Theme with one of sun rays through the fog at the Smokies, and HM with one of a thistle covered with snow. It was from a slide, so I can't post it. The one from the Smokies is already on here, with the Smokies posts from early May. So I'll just put on the one that got first place.

I did finish the book proposal I was working on for a pioneer book and sent it in a week ago. I haven't heard anything yet, but really hope I'll get to do this book. I think it will be very interesting.

Tomorrow we have a Birders trip to a state park in Indiana, so I have to be up at 5:00. Guess I'll go to bed!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home