Pat McCarthy is the author of a dozen nonfiction books for children and young adults. She has published numerous stories, articles, puzzles and quizzes in magazines for children and adults. She teaches for the Institute of Children's Literature. She has also written encyclopedia articles and school curriculum. Pat is a retired elementary school teacher who subs to remain in touch with kids. Her hobbies are photography, travel, birding and scrapbooking.

Friday, May 25, 2007

A Fun Day of Subbing

I had an interesting experience when I was subbing in fifth grade the other day. A boy raised his hand and said, "What did you say your name was?" I said, "Miss McCarthy." He asked, "Is that McCarthy or McCartney?" I told him. He asked, "How do you spell that?" I spelled it for him. He gave me a strange look, then said, "What is your first name?" When I said it was Pat, he said, "Did you write that Daniel Boone book?" I said I had, and he cried, "Hey, guys, she wrote the Daniel Boone book that Mrs. H. has in her room! That blue one!" They seemed quite impressed, then a girl pulled my Henry Ford book out of her desk and said, "Then she wrote this one, too!" Kind of fun to be just a LITTLE bit famous!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne Lieurance said...

Hey, Pat!

That's so cool! I'll bet that was fun for you when the little boy realized he was in the midst of a "real, live author" whose books he had read.

Suzanne Lieurance
National Writing for Children Center
http://www.writingforchildrencenter.com

11:21 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home