Pat McCarthy is the author of a dozen nonfiction books for children and young adults. She has published numerous stories, articles, puzzles and quizzes in magazines for children and adults. She teaches for the Institute of Children's Literature. She has also written encyclopedia articles and school curriculum. Pat is a retired elementary school teacher who subs to remain in touch with kids. Her hobbies are photography, travel, birding and scrapbooking.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Mohican State Park

I spent the weekend at beautiful Mohican State Park in northeastern Ohio. I was attending the Ohio Ornithological Society's annual conference, so everything was about birds. Four of us shared a cabin, which was very nice. Regina and I had a bedroom with twin beds, and so did Steve and Dave. We had a livingroom with gas fireplace and TV, a fully-equipped kitchen, bathroom and a screened-in porch. It cost us about half what it would have cost to stay in the lodge. The food was great and the field trips were good. Saw about 70 species of birds, and added Kentucky Warbler, Prothonotary Warbler and Louisiana Waterthrush to the warblers on my year list.

The trip inspired two articles for the Article Challenge, so I wrote them and submitted them last night. They are still pending approval, so it will probably be a few days before they are live. One is called "Upgrade Your Bird Identification Skills by Learning Mnemonics" and the other is called "Amish Swallows Help Save Cliff Swallows in Ohio." I decided to write the first one when I felt the need to learn more of the birds' songs and calls in order to identify ones I couldn't see. The second was inspired by a visit to an Amish farm, where there was a colony of cliff swallows which included hundreds of nests.

Quite a few people have viewed my first two articles, "Migratory Bird Day at Magee Marsh" and "Eight Easy Steps to Writing an Article for Children." You can see my articles at ezinearticles.com .

I also submitted three other short travel articles today which were published several years ago. I own the rights to them, so it was okay to use them again.

Now I need to get to work and get some more written!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home