Pat McCarthy is the author of a dozen nonfiction books for children and young adults. She has published numerous stories, articles, puzzles and quizzes in magazines for children and adults. She teaches for the Institute of Children's Literature. She has also written encyclopedia articles and school curriculum. Pat is a retired elementary school teacher who subs to remain in touch with kids. Her hobbies are photography, travel, birding and scrapbooking.

Thursday, October 08, 2009

Books and Writing

The booksigning at Darke County Parks during Prairie Days went well. We sold sixteen copies of Heading West: Life with the Pioneers. I was pleased with that.
I was surprised to get a royalty statement from Chicago Review Press for the new book for January - June. The book came out on August 1, but according to the royalty statement, it sold 405 books during the royalty period. I guess they must have been pre-publication sales. It's earned about 1/8 of the amount it needs to earn before I start getting royalties.
Also got my royalty statement from Enslow for the six books I wrote for them. Royalties are a little higher than last time, but several of the books are already out of print.
I'm still waiting for news on the revised outline and list of activities I sent to my editor for the next book for Chicago Review Press. Today I sent queries, resumes and writing samples to three other publishers, hoping to pick up some work for hire to do in between work on the other books.
I'm looking forward to my visit to Englewood Elementary School in Englewood, Ohio on October 20. I'll be speaking to all 350 students in the school divided by grade level. I'm working on a PowerPoint program for that.
I got a letter from a school in Columbus asking for more information on school visits. Hope to be able to schedule one there, too.
I'm also looking forward to signing books at the Buckeye Book Fair in Wooster, Ohio on November 9. There will be 100 authors and illustrators and they say they sold 7000 books last year! I won't make money directly from this, since they provide the books and get the profits, but down the road I will earn royalties on the books sold. And I'll have my school visit brochures on hand to give out to any interested teachers or librarians. It will be fun to meet the other authors and the illustrators, too.
I subbed two days this week. Last weekend I went to Glendale, KY for a Memorial for my friend and mentor, Bill Thomas, well-known nature photo-journalist. Bill taught me a lot about photography and also assured me I could write books. I sent him one of the first copies of my first book, Daniel Boone: Frontier Legend. I stayed at Petticoat Junction Bed & Breakfast, run by Rachel and Jack Holman. They were so nice, the house was lovely and the food was wonderful! My photo friends, Carole Fletcher and Julie Eden, also stayed there, so we had lots of time to talk. Lis Braun and her friend, Marilyn, came over for the evening. The next day I got to see photo friends Steve and Becky Margison and had a chance to meet Bill's four children. Allen was the only one I knew.
This weekend is a Birders' trip to Southern Ohio - Clermont County. That should be fun, too. Then I have to spend next week getting the program ready for my school visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home