Pat McCarthy is the author of a dozen nonfiction books for children and young adults. She has published numerous stories, articles, puzzles and quizzes in magazines for children and adults. She teaches for the Institute of Children's Literature. She has also written encyclopedia articles and school curriculum. Pat is a retired elementary school teacher who subs to remain in touch with kids. Her hobbies are photography, travel, birding and scrapbooking.

Friday, July 24, 2009

Weekend Reunion and Writing Odds and Ends

Last weekend my sister, Kay, and I went to a family reunion with our McCarthy cousins in Ashtabula, Ohio. It was right on the lake in a park and the weather was wonderful! About 70 and sunny. It was fun seeing three of our first cousins and 13 of their children, plus assorted spouses. The first cousins enjoyed seeing the picture of their father and my father that I used in the pioneer book, Heading West: Life with the Pioneers.
Speaking of the book, my author copies are all gone and I just ordered 40 more. I also sent for a vendor's license so I can sell the books and collect sales tax.
I finished work on my brochure about school visits and am printing them out, after buying paper, envelopes and printer cartridges. I'm mailing them to a lot of schools in the area, in hopes of getting school visits. I also bought 100 stamps, but will need a lot more.
Worked some more this week on revising my proposal for the next book. Hope to finish that over the weekend so I can send it in on Monday.
Tonight I'm going to a scrapbook crop. IF Walgreens finishes the pictures in time, I'll scrap Jessica Zuklich's wedding which I shot on June 26. They had a problem with the website, so don't know if the pictures will be done in time. If not, I have plenty of pictures of the babies to do. (Carson and Madison don't appreciate being called babies, so don't tell them!)

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger dj said...

Hi, Pat! I've only done a few author visits, but I hope to do more. Any suggestions about how to make them successful? Diana

7:09 AM

 
Blogger Pat McCarthy said...

I haven't done a lot of them yet, either. I think you need to make them fun for the kids you're talking to and let them ask questions, among other things. Ask me again next year! I hope I have a lot more to say about it!

6:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home