Pat McCarthy is the author of a dozen nonfiction books for children and young adults. She has published numerous stories, articles, puzzles and quizzes in magazines for children and adults. She teaches for the Institute of Children's Literature. She has also written encyclopedia articles and school curriculum. Pat is a retired elementary school teacher who subs to remain in touch with kids. Her hobbies are photography, travel, birding and scrapbooking.

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Shopping, Snowstorm, Car Problems, etc.

Well, I'm completely overwhelmed with Christmas preparations. The morning after Photo Club (I got a first and a second place ribbon and Adam got two thirds and an HM!), I drove to my sister's, about a three-and-a-half-hour drive. We spent a few days shopping, so that's almost done. Unfortunately, we seemed to find ourselves in scrapbook stores as much as in other stores!

My sister, Kay, rode back with me Wednesday. About an hour from home, the steering wheel started jerking back and forth and the van started to pull to the right. I knew that if it were out of line, it would pull to one side, but I never had it happen all of a sudden like that. We stopped in Dayton for the Photo Club Board meeting, and one of the guys drove the van and thought we could make it home. Turned out one of the belts in the tire on the driver's side in front broke. So that meant two new tires.

That book advance is going pretty fast, with that, the brakes I had fixed last month and the $285 to fix the gas leak the day before I left. Actually I had two leaks, one in the water heater and one in the furnace. I really think that's what caused my bronchitis. Went to the ER for that the Sunday before I left, but the antibiotic didn't do a thing. I think now it was allergic bronchitis, caused by the gas. Then I was at Kay's for five days, and her husband smokes, so that irritated it. I think it's getting better now that I'm home with no gas or smoke.

We're under a Winter Storm Warning, but we have a birthday party this afternoon, which is why Kay came home with me. Her great grandson, who is my great-great-grand-nephew, is three years old. We're going to Burger King for the party and see how many people make it. We have about four inches now, but they've predicted anywhere from six-twelve. Will post pictures of the party and the snow later.
Pat

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home